[A/S] calgon water softener in holding tank

We were unable to find powdered water softener, so bought the liquid.
The instructions say to use 1/4 cup in a washer, so those of you who
have the powdered form, how many cups are you supposed to use in a
washer?  If it instructs to use 1/4 cup of powder, then the measure
would be the same for the liquid, and I would then use 2 cups to a
gallon of hot water for our holding tank. If the measure is different I
will have to adjust the amount of liquid.
Has anyone on the list actually tried it yet?

Tricia & Conrad