[A/S] Re: Our new vintage Airstream

Greetings George!

Welcom to the world of Vintage Airstreams!

It appears that 1964 must have been a banner year for Airstream as
you will find that there are a number of members with various models
within the '64 model range.  This was a model year with a number of
firsts and lasts - - first year for the Univolt, first year for a
demand water system replacing the pressure-type water system for most
coaches, last year for the jalousy windows next to the entry door,
and I believe the last year for the door-within-door feature.

> I will be calling on Helen for a manual thanks to
> having her name and # supplied recently through this group.

Secretarial Services (Helen Davis) will be able to provide a photo
copy of the owner's manual for your '64.  In fact it was another
first for 1964 - - the first year that Airstream published an owners'
manual.  Service manuals wouldn't make thier first appearance for
nearly another decade.  In '64 your coach would have been provided
with its premier owners' manual along with a manilla envelope filled
with a number of brochures and manuals for installed components and
accessories (refrigerator, furnace, range/oven, water pump, Bay
Breeze Air Conditioner {when so equipped}, etc.).

> I think I saw while searching the net - a supplier of exterior
> hatch covers. Does anyone know who this is?

If the exterior compartment doors are what you are referring to (the
aluminum doors covering the access opening in the exterior for the
refrigerator, exterior storage compartments, or rear one-stop-service-
compartment; the only supplier that I am aware of with some of these
doors available as reproductions is Inland RV
(http://www.inlandrv.com).  If the square and rectangular roof vent
opening covers are what you are referring to, there are at least two
suppliers who have reproductions (in acrylic rathern than aluminum)
for these Hehr Vent Openings - - Inland RV (http://www.inlandrv.com) -
 - or Airstream Dreams (http://www.airstreamdreams.com).

> Also, it looks like there is no grey water tank in the trailer. Was
> this normal?

Yes, the only waste holding tank was the black water tank.  I believe
that your Trade Wind is similar to my Overlander in this regard - -
the blackwater tank is mounted below the floor between the rear frame
rails below the toilet.  If this is the case, you will find a section
in the owners' manual that provides instructions for utilizing the
black tank for both black and gray water.  It is feasible, but does
add an extra bit of unpleasantness to the dumping procedure.
Basically, a solid Thetford waste valve cap is used - - then the
black tank dump valve is opened and the result is that the gray water
is then forced into the black water tank - - this is where the
dumping issue arises -- before dumping the tank the dump valve must
be closed and this traps a small amount (less than 2 cups) of waste
between the Thetford waste valve cap and the dump valve itself, and
you need a small bucket to catch this waste when the cap is removed
to dump the tank.

Good luck with your new-to-you '64 Trade Wind!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400
VORTEC/4.10 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2
Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)