Re: [A/S] Replacing 8 track

I've changed the radios in 83 and 86 motorhomes and 89 Squarestream trailer.
Not too big of a job.  Most of the new replacement car radios are a DIN (I
think) size.  The fit in a rectangular hole. Most old radios have 2 knob
holes and a small tuner face hole.  If your old radio looks like a car
unit,(like the one in my trailer) you'll have to open up the hole for the
new one to fit.  If you have one of those big "entertainment center" things,
(like the motorhomes had) you'll have to get a piece of plastic or something
to cover the hole, and cut a hole in it for the radio.  I had to replace a
couple of speakers on the 83 MH that were bad, but used the original
speakers on the others.  They all had + and - wires for each speaker, which
is what the new units want, rather than shared grounds. There should be a
chart on the old radio that identifies the wires, or they may be marked with
tags. If the antenna lead will reach, it will plug right in.  I had to use
an extension on one of the MH radios. Couple of bucks at Radio Shack.
Overall a fairly easy project.  Trailer radios are a lot easier to get to
and work on than the MH ones.  Try crutchfield.com for a new radio - I've
bought several from them.

Neal