[A/S] 2004.5 Dodge trans

The 2004.5 Dodge Cummins are the new 600 ft lbs of torque and put
out 325 HP.  Dodge beefed up the old 47RE auto transmission and call
it the 48RE.  I've read comments that it should hold up better than
the previous ones.  On the Turbodiesel Website, members are saying
positive things about the 48RE but only time will tell if it truly
is heavy duty enough for the increased torque/HP in the 5.9 Cummins.

The new engine is a better one than the old old because it is
quieter, has direct injection, gets better mileage, has more power
and 40 % fewer moving parts according to Dodge literature.

I drive a 2001 Dodge 3500 with 5-spd manual because the auto trans
was not doing well.  The old engine is loud but is a great engine
and get 16-17 mpg when not towing.  12-13 when towing 30' Excella.