Re: [A/S] Digest Number 2007

Good Luck!  I had a '86 Suburban w/454.  I wore out the driveway into the
dealer getting exhaust manifold problems handled.  They tried everything -
nodular iron headers, different studs, custom exhaust pipes (between the
manifold and the muffler) etc.  Nothing seemed to work for more than about
6000 miles.  The "problem" is that pulling a 31' A/S in hilly country causes
everything to heat up big time, and then you crest the hill and "coast" down
the other side, cooling things off abruptly.  All this causes unbelievable
stress on the exhaust hardware, warping, breaking, and bowing, which creates
lots of noise (not to mention the fumes percolating into the passenger areas)
<ha>.  I think some of the problem was solved in later years by header and
manifold redesign, AND by fuel injected computer controlled engines which
monitor heat build-up and adjust fuel mixtures accordingly.

As I said at the outset, GOOD LUCK!

Jim, formerly in Colorado, now in California