[A/S] Salt Damage - was - Uh Oh, I think I have a problem

The possibilities of extreme rot due to salt damage is the reason
that I searched for a U.S. Airstream when I decided to buy bigger.  I
looked at a couple up here in Mid Northern Ontario, Canada, a 1982
and a 1987 and there was salt perferation to the frame on both;
behind the trailer on the ends that stick out for the bumper and the
storage area.  The A frames in front had been painted on both, and
seemed rusted, but stopped by the paint, but on both the rears, the
owner had taped over the holes, and then painted over the tape to
hide it.  Both these trailers did sell eventually, and the previous
owners got their asking prices.  BUT, not from me, thank the Lord,
Harry.  Mine came from North Dakota, and had seen some winter use,
but the frame was solid and salvageable with only a bit of sand
blasting, and aluminum paint.  Now the the skin question that was
asked.  No, there did not seem to be any damage at all to the
exterior skin of the two trailers I saw with rust perforated frames.
So, it must take more to get to the aluminum than it does to
seriously damage the steel frames.  Am I wrong here, or are new
Airstreams coming with Aluminum frames?

Tom
Ontario, Canada