Re: [A/S] Pet question

Howdy Y'all:

Like a lot of y'all, we travel with out pet
"children".  We've had a cat now for almost 2 years,
and he has always been included in our trips, and
rides with the rest of the family in the truck.

For about the last 4-5 outings the cat has developed
the unpleasant habit of either throwing up or
relieving himself when we first start off in the
morning.  It does not seem to matter whether it is the
beginning, middle, or end of a trip.  Afterwords, he
is good for the rest of the trip.  He is in a crate at
the beginning so he won't jump out, and we put him
back in the crate whenever we have to make a stop.

My wife is very attached to this cat, and is at her
wits end as to what to do.  Leaving him at home, or
boarding him, is an absolute last resort.  Personally,
I don't think my wife would agree to do this.  She has
gotten an open sided crate that is taller than the one
we have been using.  She took the cat out for a ride
yesterday to see how it would work.  We had left the
crate out for about 3 weeks so the cat good get used
to it.  The same thing happened.  My wife is
concerned, and is very reluctant to my suggestion of
traveling with the cat in the trailer.

I know that Hunter travels with her cat in the
trailer, and I'm thinking some of the rest of y'all
may do so as well.  I'd appreciate hearing y'alls
experiences.  Should we leave the cat in the crate in
the trailer, or let him find a place of his own?  My
wife is concerned for the cat's safety, and is unsure
how safe it would be for him in the trailer.  She also
feels that the cat my get scared with all the
movement.  Is it safe?  Do the animals seem to be
traumatized by traveling in the trailer?

Really, any suggestions you have to offer that will
help ease my wife's anxiety will be very welcome.

Tom May
Spring Break - Garner State Park