Re: [A/S] All in one

Arnie -

Unfortunately there is no "One Source" for all your needs.

I'll give you my take on communicating as a Full Timer.

First any email will work all you need is an address and the service.
Some are free , while others charge.  Many of my friends use earthlink.
Some use AOL>  I've shied away from AOL because their software rewrites
some of Windows.  Not a nice thing to do.

You may want to try hotmail.com  Free and easy.  Others are available as well.

Do  an internet search on Google for email services and you will find many
offered.

Cell phones is a subject I researched and tried over the last 10 years as
a national sales trainer for GE mobile radio and as a full timer.

Many phones abound but if your in the fringes and boonies you need one with
a real antenna.

I use the Motorola V-120 tri-mode phone because it not only uses a real
antenna that sticks out of it's body
it also can have an external antenna like a mag mount attached to it.
This has been invaluable in fringe area's.

Many of the new phones are slick looking but don't have the antenna
capability in the fringe areas.

As to services I've used Alltel, Cingular, Nextel, ATT, SBS, T-mobile and
Verizon.

The only one I've found with good all around coverage in most all areas is
Verizon.
With the tri-Mode Motorola phone with antenna you can access.  I'm
currently traveling with
folks who have T-mobile and Alltel.  While camped 10 miles from Key West
they could use their phones,
while I had no problems making or recieving calls.  The same was true at
Paridise Park 20 miles west of
Punta Gorda.

My advice as far as Cell phones is get the national Verizon plan with the
minutes you need and
a tri-mode phone with a real antenna you can see, not a fancy camera phone
that will have trouble in fringe areas.
I have the National plan for 900 minutes and there are no roaming or long
distance charges.
(Not to be confused with the Verizon America's plan which isn't as good in
my opinion.)

As to TV - You can go with straight local TV and get good reception in most
city locations and in some areas have little or no signal.  The next option
is Dish or Directv using a manual dish.  Minimum packages are about $30-40
per month.  You can move your receiver from house to RV.

In the boonies (BLM land, mountains, desert, farm land where Cell service
is slim to none the only current solution is either satellite phone or
sateliite VOIP.   Both expensive.)  But worth it if it meets your needs.

My setup is based on my lifestyle and needs.  As a Full timer traveling
alone I wanted to cover all bases.

I want the best cell coverage so I went with the package I described with
Verizon.
I still work a little.  (A very little but need to fax and send
photo's.)  I tried using the cell with a data cable
but it's VERY slow and time consuming and sometime causes errors, requiring
even more air time..

I also do all my bills and banking and manage a stock portfolio via the
internet as well as order things from suppliers and ebay.
I also am now ftping a website which uses a lot of bandwidth.

As a result I use a high speed Satellite internet system which also
combined with Directv
gives me internet and TV in one dish.  Easier pointing.  I can fax, FTP,
email, upload and download huge files and photo's, update all my software,
access my bank and stock's and make outbound phone calls (VOIP) when the
cell phone is not an option.
I can even set up a wireless access point so my neighbors can get on line
in the campground.

As a back up to this I'am a Ham and carry a portable and mobile 2 meter rig
on top of the traditional CB set.

Do I use them all the time.? no only the Sat internet but the rest is like
fire insurance on your home.
JUST IN CASE.

Thanks for listening to my take.

Blair