[A/S] Re: How Far . . .

My first trip out as a full-timer was the most hectic if not the
longest.  (I have trip logs, but not sure where they are right now).

I left Jacksonville, FL August 26, 1986 and dead-headed for Banff,
Alberta.  Wanted to beat the snows.  Toured a bit, crossed the
Rockies to Washington to visit friends.  Down the coast to Point
Mugu Naval Air Station, CA for a reunion, Tucson for Thanksgiving
and Denver for Christmas.  Back to Jacksonville, followed the coast
to the Keys and back up to the Sarasota area to finish off what was
left of the winter.

Half way to Canada, early on this trip, we met a couple who had been
on the road for some time.  They emphasized slowing down.  They
traveled about 150 to 200 miles a day and tried to stay wherever
they landed for 2 or 3 nights.  They said that even the smallest
towns had something of interest if you'd only look for it.  At that
time, 500 to 600 miles a day was my norm.  Now, after almost 18
years, I can say that I have been able to slow to the 200 to 300
mile a day regimen.  But, I am still working on the staying and
exploring the local areas while traveling.

As I've heard and read for years, "It isn't the destination, it's
the trip".  We can modify that a bit and say, It isn't the miles you
travel but what you see along the way.

Lew