[A/S] Re: hello I'm new with a question.

Greetings Lisa!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Airstreaming!

I have owned my '64 Overlander International since 1995, and the
slightly smaller TradeWind would have only a marginally lighter
weight (my estimate would be less than 1,000 pounds difference when
loaded).  When fully loaded for an extended trip, my Overlander is
within a few pounds of 6,000 lbs.

As one who travels for four to six weeks (and sometimes more) during
the summer, I find that I like to select a tow vehicle that has the
capacity to tow at least 25% more than the weight of my trailer.  My
current K2500 GMC Suburban has a trailer tow weight limit of 10,000
pounds (7400 VORTEC V8 with 4.10 differential gearing, and heavy duty
factory trailer towing package).  It is my favorite tow vehicle of
those that I have owned over the past ten years - - decent fuel
mileage (14 to 16 MPG Solo and 10 to 13 MPG towing) - - plenty of
power for mountain grades as well as freeway travel - - traveling
comfort for up to eight people.  The Suburban's immediate predecessor
was a 1995 Chevrolet K1500 Z71 club cab pickup with the 5.7 Liter V8
and 3.73 differential gearing - - it was very nearly maxxed out with
the Overlander, and its fuel mileage was less than with the Suburban
under all conditions - - the main reasons for its departure was the
lack of power on mountain grades, a fuel tank that was too small, and
the harshest ride of any tow vehicle that I have ever owned.

A half-ton based tow vehicle with the factory heavy duty tow package
would likely be sufficient for your TradeWind or Overlander unless
you anticipate extended vacations that will include much mountainous
travel.  If your travel plans include much extended travel in the
mountains, I think that you might be better satisfied with a three-
quarter ton based tow vehicle with a big block V8 for greater towing
stamina along with the 3.90 to 4.10 differential gearing that is
typically part of the heavy duty trailer tow package.

Good luck with your search for a tow vehicle!

Kevin

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC #6359
1964 Overladner International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible