RE: [A/S] Bambi 16'

Rob,
We have the 19' Bambi and tow with a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac (a
short-bed pickup derivative of the Explorer SUV).  The Sport Trac has a
210HP V6 mated to a 5 speed automatic on a 125" wheelbase (wheelbase
important for towing stability).  Ours has the optional 4:10 limited slip
rear end which allows the engine to pull more effectively (at the cost of a
bit of gas mileage).  The unit has separate, external, factory-installed
coolers for the engine oil, tranny fluid and power steering fluid.  I have
discovered that the factory tranny cooler is not quite up to the task when
towing.  With only 21,000 miles the fluid began to discolor and the smell
was a bit off.  It had all the earmarkings of excess heat.  I am going to
switch out the factory tranny cooler for a Hayden TransCool that I know will
do the job. We have towed in Rocky Mountains and again, it did the trick
with no situation where I could not maintain 55MPH easily.  Given our
experience, I doubt that the same engine would be as well suited without the
5 spd and the 4:10 rear end.  Gas mileage varies depending mainly on the
amount of lead in my shoe.  55MPH yields about 14MPG, while 70MPH gives
about 9MPG.

As you are still in the investigation stage, consider using the Hensley
Arrow hitch, especially with a smaller tow vehicle such as the XTerra and a
single axle trailer such as the Bambi.  Yesterday, the Hensley really earned
its keep. While returning home with the Bambi, the curbside valve stem
suddenly failed.  At the time, I was legally traveling about 75MPH.  When
and after the valve stem failed, there was NO indication outside of the fact
that the trailer slightly tilted toward the deflated tire (saw it in my rear
view mirror).  At no time was I faced with any adverse handling or sway.
Fortunately I caught the situation within seconds as the deflated tire was
cool to the touch immediately after I stopped.  If you are spending almost
$40,000 on a new A/S, plus the value of your Xterra, is $3000 for a Hensley
too high a price for the safety and piece of mind?

My thoughts on the 16' vs 19'...we like the separate full sized shower with
the toilet outside the shower.  The larger galley is also a plus for us (3
burner stove/oven and larger refrig).  Both these units are really nice, but
given the small difference in money, the 19' would again be our choice.  The
16' is really cute and for a single person might be the ticket, but for a
couple, the extra 3' makes a big difference.

david