[A/S] The Tambour Bear

Hi Dean,

Daisy has it right. Be ready for bear.

When it was my turn for that job, the culprit was that big curved piece
under the sink. I was systematic and logical and very deliberate about each
step in disassembling and reassembling.  The disassembling was made easier
when I used a trouble light even though the sun was streaming in the
windows. Also, I wrote down the sequence as I went along (lesson learned
from doing other jobs as a first timer).

I used the old piece as a template and measured the new material almost
"exactly" the same size. It was obvious that years of wear had worn it down.
My final estimate was 1/8" wider on the bottom edge to account for the worn
fuzzy and chipped portions. My estimate on the top edge was a whisker wider
because of lesser fuzzies. The color was so close I ignored the difference.

After all the measuring and cutting (very carefully), did the whole thing go
back together correctly? "Yeah - but." Success eluded me until I used screws
to hold portions in place temporarily while lining up the remainder. Then,
once all was in place, I went back, removed the screws and pop riveted
everything. I spent too much time trying to be absolutely certain before
finalizing everything. Another lesson learned.

At the very end of this little project, the last hole was off by 1/4" and no
amount of jiggling would change that.  I blew it off by drilling another
hole and popped in the rivet.

Next, it was time for the truth test. Would it slide or bind? It slid easily
- a bit too easily. I could have cut the piece another 1/16" wider (too late
now) and still been okay.  Or perhaps that last hole was the cause.

Anyhow, it looks great, slides great and I'm the only one who notices the
slight variation from original.  As for how long the job took, I estimate
ten times longer than the next time I do it - if I ever do it again. NOT!!

Terry

mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net