Re: [A/S] Towing with an Xterra

Rob:

We have recently moved up from towing a 17' Boler with an Isuzu Rodeo to
towing an airstream 34' limited with a ford f350 deisel.

The 17' Boler is very similar to the Bambi 16' except it is built with
Fiberglass instead of aluminum. I expect the aerodynamics to be very similar
between the Boler and the airstream. I did pull it fully loaded at 3,000 lb
(my estimate I never did actually weigh it) The dry weight of the trailer is
2200 lb. I towed it on absolutely flat ground in Saskatchewan and in hilly
country of western North Dakota and Eastern Iowa. My Isuzu had about 25 more
hp and about 25 more ft/ib of torque than your Exterra v6.

In the best of conditions - level ground and light wind I could easily tow
at 65 mph and get 20 miles per imperial gallon..(-6mpg less than driving
empty). In hilly country there was frequent shifting in and out of
overdrive. - Get an extra transmission cooler. Like the bambi the boler was
a single axel trailer with light tongue wieght. I had bought a load lever
hitch as part of the trailer package. It is not necessary until you hit some
wavy concrete on an interstate then it eliminates excessive bobing up and
down and makes driving a lot more enjoyable. After two years of towing the
Boler with the Isuzu on weekends and holidays I would not want to tow
anything longer or heavier and I would not want to pull anything that did
not have the shape of an airstream.

These are my two cents. I know that you will get all kinds of feed back from
others on this list. Good Luck and happy airstreaming.

Garfield