[A/S] Towing with a car

Hi Bill,

I've done it for 28 years with our 1975 Mercury Station Wagon. Today, it is
in almost showroom condition and is fully operational in every respect. The
a/c still blows snowflakes on hot days. The Merc easily tows our 1967 22'
Airstream. It was ordered with the factory trailer towing package.

Our Mercury has the 460 CID, the Reese equalizing hitch with dual cam sway
control, a larger than standard transmission oil cooler (30,000# capacity)
and an oversized radiator (biggest that would fit). Twenty years ago, I put
dual exhausts on it. That one modification dramatically increased power
through the entire rpm range.

At last July's International Convention for Airstreams in Burlington, VT, we
towed our 1967 22' Airstream with our 1975 Mercury. On the roof of our
Mercury was a 17' mirror shine polished aluminum canoe. It matched the
mirror shine on the trailer. The trailer won a blue ribbon for Best of Show
1960s Decade and won a second ribbon for the Shiniest Airstream.

I've towed the 1967 with the 1975 Mercury through all of the provinces in
Canada and all of the states in the USA. The Mercury is no slouch under any
conditions or circumstances. It does the job with gusto and has been both
reliable and dependable, i.e. I'm compulsive about maintainance.

That's my car story. Maybe it'll help with your decision.

Terry

mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net