[A/S] Rear compartment-freezing

Hi Don,

If you have electricity for heat tape, then don't bother with the tape. Go
to an electric heater that will blow warm air THROUGHOUT the entire
compartment. One of those small cube heaters will suffice.  Have more than
two of them for the occasion when (not IF) one of them crumps out on you.

The idea is to get EVERYTHING warm back there for the daily run when no heat
whatsoever is being applied. As others have mentioned, make sure the weather
stripping is good and there are no "holidays" around the compartment door
leading directly to the outside atmosphere.

Be sure there is direct warmth being applied to that portion of the plumbing
where the outside hose connects to the inlet water line. Likewise, keep the
hot water heater going when parked - even if no hot water is needed.

The combination of jiggling and starting off warm has always been sufficient
for us to survive rolling days when outside temperatures were in the high
teens. As soon as we stop, I immediately connect to electricity and start
the cube heaters (directing their heat into the bowels of the trailer).

Granted, there is always a bit of trepidation, but with intense persistence
and staying focused - freeze ups have been avoided.

I just re-read my comments and I sound a bit bossy. Ignore that if you can
and realize that's not my intention.  Focus on the ideas and use or modify
them to suit your anticipated situation.

In all likelihood, you'll come up with other (probably better) ideas to
protect your pipes. Be sure to share them with the rest of us. None of us
know it all, but all of us know some of it, and together, each of us is
better off for it.

Terry

mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net