Re: [A/S] pipe frame trailer

You may want to check out the Vintage Airstream Club (VAC) list and their
website at www.airstream.net , as well as the shared searchable archives of
this and the VACList, at www.tompatterson.com .

At the 2000 Airstream International Rally in Bismarck, i had the pleasure of
meeting and spending some time with Bud Cooper, (founder of the VAC, an
'intra-club' of the Airstream club), sitting in his '49 Airstream Clipper
and going through his notebook with hand drawings and pictures of his
renovation/restoration of this beauty.

I'd just purchased what we eventually determined to be a 1948 Airstream
'Trailwind'.
Both of these are/were 'pipe-frame' trailers, and worthwhile restoration
projects. However, Bud constructed a steel ladder-frame with a conventional
A-frame tongue, and was either contemplating or about to install a modern
duratorque suspension/axle to replace the original leaf-springs. He did
retain a section of the pipe, under the aft section of the trailer, to hold
his 'slinky'.

I have long since gutted my Trailwind, and found that although the 4"
diameter 'pipe' is perfectly useable, the sheet-aluminum 'outriggers' had -
for the most part - parted company with either the sub floor, the pipe, or
both. The resultant flexing of the subfloor had all but disintegrated it -
it was held together mostly by the asbestos tiles glued to it.

When I get around to it, I plan to fabricate an aluminum ladder-frame to
which i will attach the new Henschen Dura-Torque axle/suspension I acquired
a couple of years ago, prior to their current exclusive agreement with
Airstream.

This aluminum frame will 'cradle' the original 'pipe' and the new subfloor
(i'm planning on fabricating a lightweight composite 'sandwich' as is used
in aircraft flooring) with an electric radiant floor heat system mounted
under cork flooring.

I've a 4kw Onan propane-fired genset, and a 13.5k btu Coleman roof a/c which
will both be mounted under the forward 'cafe-seating'/bed (it's a 19' unit
with about 17' of interior space) and vented through the floor.

I'm planning on re-installing the original porcelain-on-steel bathtub in the
rear, a new RV flash (demand) hot water heater, and a distributed system of
fresh, gray, and black water 'tanks' out of large-diameter abs pipe mounted
beneath the subfloor. I have a '50's 'Monomatic' re-circulating toilet, but
i'm not sure that i can get used to the idea...

I'll be re-installing the original Coleman gas oven/range, and the "marvel'
110v refrigerator in their original positions... to all (external)
appearances, it'll be an original 'looking' trailer, with all modern
upgrades.

I strongly advise against using the original pipe-frame/sheet-metal
outrigger design, unless you intend it to be a non-towable museum-piece...
highway speeds of 50 years ago are not what they are today.

tuna
reno, nv