Re: [A/S] 12 Volt cooler question

I have a large one - almost a small tabletop refrigerator. Forget the
brand. Takes maybe 3-4 hours to cool down, so you have to plan to use it.
Uses around 3 amps, so it could kill a 12V battery in a day or so if not
charging.

I think the brand is not important - they all use the same thermoelectric
cooler devices and all have the same limitations.

Should work fine in an application where you plan ahead to use it, and have
110 power or are driving and recharging as you go.

No good for quickie unplanned needs like taking home leftovers from
a  restaurant, because it wouldn't be cool fast enough (unless it runs all
the time).

OTOH, if you threw a small bag of ice in it when you needed to use it, it
would cool rapidly and the cooler would kick in to make the ice last a LONG
time.

One limitation - they can't take the temp lower than about 40 deg F below
the ambient, so in a 120 degree parked car interior they can only cool to
maybe 80.

Seemed like a darned good idea when I got it, but haven't found many uses
for it, since the camper fridge works AOK.

When driving, we just take frozen bottles of water from the camper's
freezer and sip on them for hours as they thaw.

Jerry 4404