[A/S] Re: What to do

Debbie,

I can understand your dilemma.  My wife and I recently went through
something similar.  Just before retirement we started looking for an
AIrstream.  We had had a 1962 24' Tradewind from about 1970-1991. Long
story there, but we camped in it pretty much only until the mid 70's when
we built a summer home at the beach. It was a good solid trailer and never
leaked, even though I don't recall ever doing any caulking on it.
Anyway, when we started looking for a trailer in 2001, my wife talked me
into buying the first one we saw.  She loved the outside (it looked almost
new and reminded her of NASA) It was a 31' '79 and in great shape, no
leaks, new refrigerator, A.C, and hot water heater too. It was so much more
modern than our '62 that we felt like we were buying a NEW Airstream. Not
knowing the value, we paid a few thousand too much for it too.  In addition,
it had twin beds (we sleep in a double at home ALL the time), and there was
no dinette (the other item I really wanted).  We soon found that the living
arrangements didn't work for us on the extended trips we are now able to
make in retirement.  We set out to look for a replacement.  We located a 32'
 '87 and we both fell in love with the inside.  The outside was not in nearly
as good of shape as the '79.  We found out later that it had leaks, the
outriggers were shot, the shocks were original, the brakes were only fair,
and a few more items.  We thought we got it for a good price, but later
learned we overpaid again in light of all the repair work needed.  We have
about $17000 into this one and the book value is only about $10000.  Oh
well, at least we finally have the one we want for a while (although I have
been eyeing motorhomes...)  The floor plan is something that we both are
very happy with.  We figure it is our home for at least several months a year
and it was worth the investment.  We love Airstreams and could have
bought something new (another brand) for what we paid and lost on the 2
Airstreams, but we are not unhappy with our choices.  If we keep it long
enough, we will definitely get our moneys worht out of it.
From my experience, I would suggest you buy something BOTH of you are
happy with.  Make a list of the items and conveniences EACH one of you
wants in a trailer and try NOT to compromise.  Take your time.  Look VERY
carefully at the trailers you want to buy. Don't assume that the outside is in
good shape just because the inside is, or visca versa. Use the one you have.
 Go to Airstream rallies and look around and ask others why they like what
they have. There are a lot of Airstreams for sale and and they are not that
easy to sell for even what the book value is.  You will eventually find
exactly what you want and maybe even at the price you want to pay. I
believe the owners of the Airstream I have just sold got a real good deal,
and I am just as happy to see it gone and be down to just one.
Of course, some folks have two (or more) Airstreams and wouldn't want just
1.  I know I am always looking at others; Airstreams  and thinking..what
would it be like to have one like that too (or instead)?  Of course, a lot of
folks think that about  spouses too....  As for me, life is much more pleasant
having just 1.  Just think how lucky you are that you BOTH love
Airsteaming!  That's the best part (other than the double bed!). Take it from
me.
 :-)

Jack
WBCCI 4697