Re: [A/S] Generator?

         Physically and electrically, I think they are the same thing.  The
difference in principle is that an automotive "generator" has a mechanical
rectifier built into it via split commutators/brush system.  "Alternators"
(in automobiles) have slip-rings (continuous rings, not split) commutators
and solid-state rectifiers (diodes) built into their frames.  Both output
pulsating DC voltage.  "Generators" in electrical plants, on the other
hand, produce alternating current.
         Mechanically, they are, of course, quite different, over and above
the kind of rectifiers they use - the solid-state rectifiers allow the
mechanical designer to accommodate other concerns.  To me, they alternators
look like they have a larger radius.  I believe you're correct that an
alternator can not work as a DC motor; so, it cannot be used as a starter,
as you said.

- Dick
(5368)