[A/S] GCVW GMC 5.7

I am about to pick up a 1970 Overlander 4575lb.  I have a 1996 5.7
Z71 package GMC 4x4 Sierra with a 5000/8500 lb hitch from the factory.
I am having a devil of a time finding the GCWV.  The book which came
with it has disappeared.  Have seached for web sites with no luck.
Seem to remember 6800lbs from somewhere.
Anyone know what this will pull in New England (hills). Am I
overweight for going up hills in a respectable fashion?  Is there
something I should do to have the transmission checked out?