Re: [A/S] Not towing with a Ranger

Joseph,
 The other thing is, most light-duty vehicles (1/2-ton trucks and
Ranger/S10-type trucks) are built pretty light. Yeah, they might be rated
for towing so much weight, but they really aren't meant to tow it for long
mileage, nor very often. The transmission and brakes are inadaquet, just to
name 2 important weak links. So, even if you're within the manufacturer's
specs, you might well be looking at short life for some of those components.

When we upgraded from a 4000# trailer to one weighing 6000#, I started to
feel that our 1/2-ton Dodge truck (Ram 1500, full-sized, rated to pull
7500#) was inadaquet. I couldn't find a larger radiator, so I did what I
should have done in the first place: jacked up said radiator cap and drove a
3/4-ton Dodge w/Cummins under it.

Having had 2 1994 Dodge trucks (see above) and doing all my own wrenching, I
can tell you that there is a HUGE difference under the sheetmetal. The
frame, brakes, rear axle, radiator, transmission, etc. are all MUCH
heavier-duty in the larger truck. There's no doubt in my mind that Ford and
GM are the same.

No, you don't always NEED such a vehicle for towing, but "heavier is always
better", IMO.

                                                         <<Jim>>