[A/S] sway, vehicle control, and overconfidence

In considering some of the messages I have seen recently about sway
control, prevention, and equipment, I get a bit concerned that some
folks might get a bit too comfortable with innapropriate expectations
of their hitch setup.

First note that sway, or yaw, control, is a problem with all vehicles
- which is why the automtive testing folks use those slalom runs and
rate by highest speed through the run.

Second, any violent change in velocity (direction or speed) can be
risky, especially at speed and for any vehicle.

Third, Moving the pivot point forward to the axle (pullright) or
farther forward (hensley for small angles) does not "eliminate" sway.
These hitches are somewhat like sideways load leveling spring bars in
that they move the yaw forces more evenly across the available axles.
This means that yaw oscillations are dampened by spreading the
sideways forces as contrasted to the equalizer or dual-cam that use
pivot point oscillation damping.

It could be fun to get into externally applied forces of either a
pulse (passing vehicle) or steady (wind) versus centripetal forces
derived from avoidance or other maneauvers and their influence on the
natural oscillation frequencies of the rig, but that sounds like a
hobby for a physics professor or automotive engineer ...

Meanwhile, all I am suggesting is that you avoid too much confindence
in a hitch that you may believe will "eliminate" sway when such things
as tires, suspension, load balancing (both fore/aft and side to side),
and rv safe driving habits need good attention, too.

--
Bryan
WBCCI 772