[A/S] Stream repairs

Whooee, did we spend some money honey!

We had to have a new motor installed in the furnace and a valve on
the gas fitting for the water heater, and readjust the fridge into it's
compartment and readjust the freezer door. (We had the fridge fixed in
Melbourne, but he evidently didn't get it right as we've had trouble
with it all along.) We decided  to have the brakes adjusted, and replace
the break away cable. 7 hours of labor total, and all it cost was $20.39
cents less than  $800.

This is unusual for us as we are accustomed to making our own
repairs, but the parts were nearly half the cost and we may not have
been able to find them easily, or would have to order them and wait for
delivery.

The personnel here are very helpful and willing to check out anything
we ask.  For instance, we want to install a writing table under the
living room window, so we asked Rick if he could get a price for us,
$300 for a laminated oak, $500 for oak, (gulp, gulp).  We thought we
would have to eventually replace the entire shower door  as there are
a couple splits, and Rick informed us we don't have to replace the whole
door, only 2 panels, @ $15 each.

Our dual cam Reese hitch is in good shape and has the 1000 # bars,
which Rick said is needed for the 34'.  But Jay, the service manager,
suggested we not use the friction bar with the dual cam setup, so we
will try that on the drive to Phoenix.

It was very pleasant here today, a comfortable waiting room with
coffee and donuts, the temp is warmer here and we had to use the ac
in the car when we went to lunch.  The Fantastic fan and bedroom fan
were sufficient yesterday and this afternoon to keep us comfortable.

We met several other Streamers here today, some with furnace
problems, some with brake and alignment problems, all friendly and
willing to share their own Airstream experiences.  The service manager
said Airstream owners are the nicest people to deal with.

We looked at several new units on the lot today, and the only thing
we found even remotely desirable is the configuration of the bed with
the head under the back window instead of under the streetside window.

We learned that the Airstream stripped to the ribs is one they bought
after the accident and use it to educate insurance adjusters as to how
and why Airstreams are so expensive to repair.

We are snugly parked in front of their shop again overnight with
water and electricity.

The water heater is working fine and we'll have a chance to check out
how well the furnace works tonight.

T & C.