[A/S] Burst propane regulator

At lunchtime today I was standing 20 yards from our Excella when the
propane regulator burst with a loud rushing sound of escaping
propane. I ran over, turned off both tanks, and by turning one on
slightly, found that the regulator was leaking around the tap that
switches the supply between tanks. There was no-one in the trailer,
and, fortunately, all the gas appliances and pilot lights were off.
The regulator is a Marshall model 250, purchased 11 months ago (as a
safety precaution!!), and fitted to two recently re-certified 30 lb
aluminum tanks with OPD valves.The regulator had not been touched
since it was fitted 11 months ago. This is obviosly very dangerous
and worrying. Has this occurred to others, and is there a safer
method of gas regulation? I shall attempt to interest the
manufacturer in this. Nick.