[A/S] Re: Why wasn't SHE doing the backing?

Yes it does, Charlie.  I outlined the mechanical reasons why.  And I
understand the mechanical operation of both the Pullrite and Equal-I-
Zer, even though I've towed with neither.

The Pullrite and Hensley eliminate sway by turning the trailer into a
fifth wheel from the trailer's perspective.  In fact, when the rig is
in a straight line with a Hensley, it's essentially a motorhome.  At
the same time they offer NO resistance to the truck turning the rig.

All a friction sway control can do is dampen sway after it starts.
If it was adusted tight enough to prevent sway from starting, the
friction would be so high the truck couldn't turn the rig at all. If
it's adjusted tight enough to have any effect on sway it fights the
truck turning the rig, causing the front tires to scrub sideways more
on dry pavement (understeer), meaning they can slide on wet
pavement.  That's why folks loosen or disconnect friction sway
controls when backing and parking... because if they're tight enough
to effectively dampen sway, they bind when the truck tries to turn at
larger angles.  And as folks find out in that situation, they also
fight straightening out the rig as much as they do putting an angle
in it.

There are folks who've towed for years with old-fashioned Reese
friction sway control devices, who think they're just fine.  Some
people go their whole towing lives without really _needing_ sway
control... they have properly loaded and balanced trailers with well
matched tow vehicles, and have just never been in the situation where
sway became a problem.  My guess is that if you can compare a Equal-I-
Zer with a Hensley, neither have you... in 3,000 miles of towing with
each.

The point of my message was that Hunter's post categorized it with
the Hensley and Pullrite, and it's not even close to comparable with
them.  While it may be more convenient than traditional friction sway
controls, it IS a friction control, and has the same disadvantages.

--
Maurice
WBCCI 5446