[A/S] Re: Suburban heater smokes

Hi George

Your furnace likely just needs a general cleaning of the burner and
combustion chamber.

The burner in your unit is cast iron and sometime the groves in it
get so wide from corrosion that the flame will not burn properly.  If
this happens you can replace the cast iron burner with a Stainless
steel burner that was used starting in 1985.  The points and the
front plate need to be changed to accomidate it but once done it is
far more reliable.  You will only want to do this if the furnace is
in good condition if there is considerable rust on the combustion
chamber then I would consider changing the entire unit.  A hydroflame
is the way to go these days as they are 100 times more reliable than
the Suburbans.

Since the furnace is the only thing in an Airstream that can kill
someone I would suggest you have a licenced technician do the work.

Andy