Re: [A/S] gadget geek in an Airstream

holy cow!  I can't even imagine what would be drawing all that power!
Was he leaving a PC/monitor on 24/7 or something?

> Interestingly, you'll find that many of those gadgets draw AS MUCH
power
> when "off" as when "on". When you're on-grid, 25 watts isn't very
much, but
> that amounts to 48 AH/day, more than twice our total usage. (I
think that's
> what a typical satellite receiver uses) Even we have about 7AH/day
of
> phantom loads. About 1/3 of that is the pilot light showing that
the pump is
> "on".

this is why we look at devices which bear an "energy star" sticker..
very little "standby" power drain.  but you can also plug'em all into
an outlet strip and just cut the power off entirely.  But I'm still
trying to find out if systems like the 2-way satelite react adversely
to that.

Brian