[A/S] What does this thing do?

Greetings To All,
Tonight we are having our first hard freeze in Maryland. I have
not winterized yet so I lit the furnace. My furnace is under the
sink, behind a rolling door. Between the door and the furnace is
a sliding masonite panel about a foot wide. It looks as though it
could be intended one of two purposes. It might be used in front
of the furnace to shield the rolling door from the direct heat of
the furnace. If it is moved to the right it is just wide enough
to keep warm air in the area that houses the plumbing, filter,
and pump. Does any one know the correct use for this panel?