Re: [A/S] Yamaha EF2800i Generator

Maurice,
  Actually, I think ONE db is the smallest change that the human ear can
detect. Three db is double the sound power, but I'm unsure if it would
be perceived as "twice as loud". I do know that an 8db increase is quite
a lot and would be very noticable in a campgroud.

As I said originally, I've not heard the Yamaha in person, but I did
see/hear the Honda 3000i in use. It was attached to a fella's motorhome
who was a flea market vendor, and the whole outfit was at his booth. We
were less than 20 feet away and it was not at all annoying; he claimed
that the A/C in the MH was running at the time, so it was under load. I
also saw/heard another one in a camping area at an engine show, and you
couldn't hear it until you were quite close. There's no doubt in my mind
what I would buy if I thought I just had to have a genset for use while
camping.

As most of you know, I'm a generator Nazi, I hate the noisy, stinky
things in campgrounds. It seems like most folks bring their $%#@!
Generac, et. al. hardware store units because they don't know how to
operate w/o power. (make coffee, cook, etc.) I personally really
appreciate people who spend the $$$ to get a QUIET genset that I can't hear.

I'll qualify the above with 2 comments: I've invested in solar panels
and I've never felt that I absolutely couldn't survive without the A/C
running. (we don't generally camp in those kind of places) Obviously, YMMV.

                                    <<Jim>>