[A/S] Re: Cold weather camping

   I am in Wisc. At this time of the year untill the ground freezes
and looses some of it's summer temp, it will keep you safe down to 25
degrees for a nite or two. AS sit low to the ground and it does make
a differance in absorbing ground temps for short duratrions. Run the
furnance and water heater. I have my 78 Excella rigged for cold
weather use. I winterize the trailer as normal. I than remove the
pipes from the drains under the kitchen sink. I replace them with a
set that drains into a couple of ice cream buckets. I can dump them
outside when needed. I also use a porta potty. I built a 6 " high
platform for it. A lot easier to get up from. My tlr. is a rear
bedroom. I have a peice of plywood covered with carpet cut to fit
from floor to ceiling and close off the rear bedroom. I also block
the rear furnace vent. My wife and I sleep on the front couch the
times we use it in the winter. The thermostat for the furnace is in
the rear bedroom, so I had to add another in the front room. And I
mounted the catilytic heater to an alum plate that is hinged so it
can swing out into the aisle and face the rear or road side of the
tlr. I mounted a 3" 12 volt computor mounted at eye level in the
front facing the rear. Very low drain and does a nice job of moving
air. The catilytic heater will heat to about 25 degrees. After that
we add the furnace to it. Use it sparingly as it can drain batterys
in a hurry. When we are pluged in two small electric heaters mounted
on alum plates do a good job. The refer and stove and all other 12
volt appliances operate as usual. The genny is a good idea. I have a
1400 watt 110 volt and another gas driven that is 12 volt only. I
favor that one.  Have fun Arnie