[A/S] Re: Load balancing hitch?

I didn't see what Jeep model you have, so I'll assume the worst...

The Jeep Wrangler's wheelbase is about 94".  The distance from its
rear axle to ball on a weight distributing hitch is maybe a third
of that... the ball has about the same mechanical advantage ratio as
on a 150" wheelbase truck with 50" axle to ball distance.

I didn't see what kind of trailer you're going to be towing, but you
should keep the trailer's ball to rear axle distance to no more than
1.8 times the Wrangler's wheelbase (169" or about 14' ball to rear
axle), AND the trailer's weight to no more than about 20% higher than
the Wrangler's roughly 3,600 lb weight (maybe 4,320 lbs), with a 470-
520 lb tongue weight.  This would put these ratios about the same as
any other safe rig.

Just make sure your Wrangler's drivetrain and brakes are rated to
handle an 8,000 lb or greater combined weight.

This would be about the max size trailer I'd want to tow with a
Wrangler (a 19' Bambi would be pushing it), and even at that,
you'd definitely want some kind of sway control.  So you need more
than to borrow a hitch.

You also need to install and calibrate an electric brake controller,
and wire the Jeep with a 7-pin trailer connector if it doesn't have
these. Make sure you bring a 12V test light and some jumper wire.
Don't count on older A/S's having today's standard pin configuration.

Hope this helps,
--
Maurice
WBCCI 5446