[A/S] 63 Ambassador towing

 I just bought a 63 Ambassador which I'll have to tow about 350
miles, including up and down a 3000 ft pass, to get it home.  Does
any one have any suggestions as to what I should inspect on the rig
before I get on the road?   For instance, is there a way to test the
brakes before setting out?  I'd also like to know the gross weight
and tongue weight if possible.

I've a 93 Explorer with a 4 liter v6 that I suspect may not be up to
the job.  I've a friend who's offered his '90 one ton Dodge Ram
pickup with a Cummins diesel with a questionable transmission. Should
I keep looking?

Thanks,
Jeff