[A/S] Re: tow vehicle choice

Hi Thomas

I would not be in a big rush to sell your 1992 Sub there is something
you can do quite cost effectively that will inprove both handling and
power.  When assessing a tow vehicle you not only have to think about
the power output but also about how much power it will take to push
the tow vehicle down the road.  In other words how much power will be
left over to pull the trailer with.

Your 4x4 Suburban's biggest power drain is the 245/75R x 16" tires
that are on it.  What we do with them is change the tire to a
Michelin 4X4 105H the size is a 235/70R x 16" Tire, the Michelin
product number is 45271.

This is a high performance tire that carries 44 PSI instead of the 35
PSI that came standard on your truck.  It is the factory tire on a
Range Rover.  It is a low rolling resistance tire rated for 105 MPH
continuos use.  Not that you are going to travel that fast but what
it means is that it is a high quality tire that has to disipate heat
well and maintain balance, both of which are important factors when
towing. The disadvantage is that they are more expensive and you can
expect about 40,000 miles of tread life.

You likely have a 3.42:1 axle ratio in your Sub(if you look at the
option codes on the sticker in your glove compartment it will be GU6)
this tire will change it in effect to a 3.59:1 ratio.  This is where
you will get the extra power combined with the reduction in rolling
resistance you will get slightly better mileage as well.  The
performance tire cassing has a far less sidewall roll than the 245
tire which will improve your handling.  This is change that I have
made to dozens of Suburbans and 1/2 ton pickups and the owners are
always quite amazed at the improvement even when not towing.  The
tire dealer will go a bit out of his mind when you tell him what you
want to do saying things like the engine computer won't work and the
anti-lock brakes won't work properly but this just does not happen
the diamater will actually be the same as a 2wd with 15" wheels.
Your speedometer will read 3 mph fast at 60 mph though.  Funny thing
if you went to the same dealer and asked for bigger tires which would
be detramental to handling and performance he wouldn't say a thing.

A 350 in a 3/4 ton will not perform as well as your half ton does
since it has no more power, less attractive gear ratio's and more
weight and rolling resistance.  A 454 will climb hills better but you
will never save enough time on hills to make up for the time you will
spend standing in gas stations.  The 350 is a more reliable engine
than the 454 as well.

The other thing to look at from a handling perspective is your shock
absorbers if they are weak they will accentuate the high centre of
gravity in the Suburban.  Munroe Gas Magnum shocks work very well.
With good shocks and tires your half ton will actually handle better
than a 3/4 since the compliant suspension will work with the
equalizing hitch not fight it.

There is nothing better you can do than put on a Hensley but your
should be very stable with a conventional hitch set up and adjusted
properly.  If I walk down a row of 100 units at an international I
might find 5 that are really set perfectly and 50 I would be affraid
to drive.  Make sure your ball mount is as close to the bumper as
possible and that the Suburban is being pushed down on the front end
(about 1/2") as far as the back when you hook up

I hope this helps you out.

Andy