[A/S] Something missing?

On our 65 Tradewind our cushions are still all original.  When the
bed is made into a sofa by day, the back rest is goofy.  It looks
like it was designed to fit upright in front of the wood piece that
sticks out from the wall.  Ours falls back so the top of the back
rest is under the wood.  Not only is this not comfortable but it
looks wrong as well.  Is there suposed to be some kind of spacer
behind the back rest to keep it upright in front of the wood?

Thanks,

Todd