Re: [A/S] tow vehicle choice

Jack,

In answer to your question of mileage and the speed we drive to achieve 19
to 20 miles per gallon with our Chevy Silverado 2500 Long Bed with Duramax
Diesel and Allison transmission, we have covered 20,000 miles - mostly, on
highways from Colorado to Texas to Georgia, driving the posted speed - which
ranges from 55 to 65 miles per hour, occasionally 70 or 75.  We have done
considerable travel in the high mountains of Colorado as well, up and down
passes.  We have not done much city driving with it.  Mostly, we are on
highways or secondary state routes.

We are pleased with the mileage we are getting.  We log it and calculate it
each time we fill up.

Duramax is more than the name for Chevy's diesel.  It is a very different
engine from the Power Stroke (Ford) or the Cummins (Dodge).  Each of these
has their good points.  We find the Duramax is much quieter than the other
two and has a stronger pulling power.  We looked long and hard at all three.
Drove them several times.  Found the Duramax to be the stronger for our
purposes.  The added plus was our discovery of the excellent miles per
gallon we are achieving.

We wish you well in your search.  Happy Trails.