Re: [A/S] first year for widebody, also Anniversary model?

  I saw one a few minutes ago - sitting in my driveway. John Hilty tipped
me off that one was for sale in Texas a couple years ago and Oleta and I
bought it over the phone and drove about 1000 miles to Dallas to pick it up.

Ours is nr 50 (that is the serial nr) in the series of 60 that were made.
And it was the 60th anniversary, not the 50th.

I have seen several - maybe 7-8 in all. Three (ours included) were at the
International rally two years ago, and I have caravanned with another. Saw
another one on the road one time. One of those at the rally was for sale.

The outside is distinctive - a gold-colored band around the bottom instead
of the usual airstream band colors. Also, it has special wheels that look
pretty nice. Hard to describe, but the wheels are like nothing else you
ever see on an Airstream

Inside the furniture is leather trimmed, not full leather. All the bathroom
fixtures are gold plated. It had all the options - I think all in the
series were made that way. Ours has two furnaces - I thought this was
foolishness, but the two furnaces turns out to be a pretty nice feature in
cold weather. There is a brass plate over the sofa announcing it is a
special model and the name of the original owner.

I don't remember what kind of wood our cabinets are made from - it is dark,
could be cherry, I suppose. I would have preferred oak.

An ad in the _Blue_Beret_ a couple months ago had one listed for sale in
Florida.

I heard a rumor that 30 of the 60 that were made were shipped to Saudi
Arabia - the princes over there prefer the Airstream to their tents when it
comes time to roam around the desert. I don't know how they moved them -
maybe they have roads in the desert.

Jerry #4404