Re: [A/S] Anti sway thing

You describe a terrible scene. I am glad I have never seen it personally.
But we will never know for sure if a sway control gadget would have helped
the horses. We don't do scientific tests on these things, as far as I know.
We are all left with only our opinions and our fears.

I think only ONE trailer was ever actually equipped with a sway control
gadget by the trailer manufacturer - rumor has it that a major manufacturer
made one years ago that had a weight distribution / tongue weight that was
truly dangerous, and the customer could not correct it with load
distribution! When they discovered the problem, according to rumor, they
installed Hensley hitches free on those customers rigs to avoid future
liability concerns. Perhaps the Hensley made it tolerable, or perhaps it
was all the manufacturer could do without eating a major loss.

If Travel Trailers were intrinsically unsafe without sway control gadgets
(and if this could actually be proven or attested to by experts in a
court), wouldn't responsible manufacturers furnish them (and include it in
the price at a profit, of course)?

I haven't read my AS manual on this topic, and it is not nearby now, so I
can't check it. Wonder if AS cautions the customer to use a sway control
gadget?

Jerry  4404