Re: [A/S] Armstrong A/C Model 21-12

I replaced my Armstrong with a Duo Therm Penguin.  I purchased the A/C from
Camping World.  I also ordered the drain pan from an Airstream dealer for
around $50.

My Armstrong was riveted on.  So I had to knock off the rivet heads all the
way around maybe more than 75 of them.   Next I removed the 4 bolts from
inside and removed in inside vent cover.  Removed the a/c wiring and drain
tube.  Then I and my brother stood on the roof on the rivet seams and lifted
the old ac off.

Then I drilled out all the rivet bodies and replaced them with Olympic
rivets and vulkem on each one as I replaced them.  Then I cleaned up the
roof area around where the Penguin would sit.

Next, I put a nice sized bead of vulkem around the square opening on the
roof and set the drip pan in place.   Then we stood on the roof and lowered
the ac onto the drainpan.  Back inside we put up the inside brackets and
installed the three (yes only three, weird) bolts to the top unit.

Wired it up, cut the drain hose as needed to fit the new pan.  And we're
done.

I am glad I did it myself.  I don't think I would trust camping world to be
as careful as I was.

-Tim
tim@telecom-pros.com
www.telecom-pros.com/tim/tim