Re: [A/S] Tow Vehicles

Hi Jim

Your van will tow the 29' very nicely if it is set up properly and
has a few modifications, I would not hesitate to use it.  Your van
has a very short overhang and a relatively long wheel base.  If my
memory serves me it also came with 225/75R x 16 LT tires  on 16x7"
rims which is and ideal tire and wheel combination (don't let the
tire dealer sell you on bigger tires they will be a disadvantage).

It likely was built with a heavy duty radiator that may have lost
some of its efficency by now so a new one may not be a bad idea.  A
transmission cooler would also be required but it may already have a
factory one as it was a common option on conversion vans.

Replacing the shocks with a high quality gas charged such as a Munroe
Gas Magnum will give it a more controlled ride without being harsh.

Your springs should be fine if the Van rides level now.

You need a 1000 lb capacity equalizing hitch and two sway controls
would be necessary. Though a Welded ball mount is best a bolt
together will do.  Eaz-Lift is the brand I prefer, I would stay away
from a Reese as their new cast iron shanks force the ball to be way
to far behind the bumper. This combination will be quite stable so a
Hensley would not be a necessity but it is always better.

The axle ratio is a question that you should answer.
In the van will be a sticker covered in 3 digit codes arranged
alphabetically.  You are looking for the ones that start with "G"
GU4 for example.  The sticker is likely on a door frame or the edge
of a door or in the glove compartment.  Let me know what it is when
you find it and I can tell you what axle ratio you have.

Andy