[A/S] Re: 1965 Overlander Plumbing question

Hello Chuck & Lynn

I think what you are describing is the 60 PSI Releif Valve.  This was
standard in all Airstreams from the start of demand water systems in
1964 until 1979 (ANSI and CSA code people could not understand them
so they were not allowed after that time).   It is there to releive
excess pressure when the water heater is heating.  You don't need one
in your house because your house does not have a check valve on its
inlet.  The Airstream also came standard with a 40 PSI regulator so
the only way the valve became active was when you heated water from
cold to hot but never opened a tap.

The releif valve is available from "WATTS", We actually install them
in high usage newer trailers as well since without them the plumbing
system has to withstand 125 psi on a regular basis.  WATTS also makes
a variable valve that looks almost identical but you can adjust the
pressure that it releases at.  This is great for cleaning out the
seat of the valve and fine tuning when it works.  We usually set
these at about 80 PSI.

You will not be able to take the valve apart but if it does not leak
until 60 PSI then it is doing its job.

I hope this helps you out.

Andy