Re: [A/S] wheelbase VS max trailer length

Hi Patti

I have towed with several Suburbans and Tahoes in most any condition
imaginable with and without Hensley Hitches.  Unquestionably the
Hensley is the best decision you could make.

Something we noticed a long time ago was that some vehicles with
shorter wheelbases were actually more stable than others with longer
wheelbases.  What we discovered was that there were other factors
involved than just purely wheelbase.

We relate the wheelbase to the rear overhang.  For example your Tahoe
has a 47" rear overhang measureing from the axle to the ball and a
116" wheelbase so the overhang is 40.5% of the wheelbase.  On a
Suburban the overhang is 54" and the wheelbase is 130" so the
overhang is 41.5% of the wheelbase.  If measure it this way they are
almost identical. (these are with a conventional hitch and a welded
ball mount)

If use a properly set up conventional hitch and you tow with a
Suburban or Tahoe and everything else is equal you will find that
they tow virtually identically.  The Tahoe will maneuver much better
and be easier to back up, the Suburban has a larger fuel tank and
will carry more stuff.

When towing with a Hensley I think the Tahoe has a slight advantage.
It is easier to transfer weight to the front wheels because you don't
have to throw it as far and the the projected pivot point of the
Hensley actually winds up ahead of the rear axle.

What I am trying to say is that if you like your Tahoe don't feel you
have to get a Suburban next time.

If you would like to improve your Tahoe the weakest link on it is the
tires.  If you change them to 225/75R x 16"LT (light truck) Load
Range "C" tires you will notice a considerable improvement in
handling both with and without the Airstream.  Considering you are
getting the Hensley though this is far from being a crittical change.

Have a great time with your Airstream.

Andy