Re: [A/S] Portable Generators

Jason,
  I have 2, 75-watt panels and an el-cheapo controller that I think cost
about $30.00 or so. An eMeter monitors things, so I know exactly what's
going on. The panels were bought from a surplus place and cost me about
half of retail, $225.00/each instead of $450.00 or so. The eMeter was a
bit over $200.00, IIRC. So, we're right at $800.00 total. Bought from
usual sources, the outlay would still be only $1300.00, a sum that's
well worthwhile for energy independance, IMO.

Now, here's the deal: you absolutely MUST have the consumption end
minimized as much as possible for this to work, it's much cheaper than
adding solar panels and batteries. My fridge runs on propane, and we
changed out a couple of the light fixtures for flourescents. The other
fixtures that have 2 bulbs have the "low" one changed from a 1.5 amp
bulb to one drawing only 1/2 amp. That way, when we don't need a lot of
light (the usual condition), we draw very little current, yet have the
other (bright) bulb if needed.

Our TV is tiny and draws only 1 amp @ 12VDC. Although the pump draws 5
amps or thereabouts, its duty cycle is very low, probably not a total of
15 minutes/day. The furnace will EAT the power, but is not normally used
much during the Summer, and we've added a catalytic heater to minimize
even that. Our batteries are limited by space to a pair of Group 24s,
adaquet for our use, but not the most desirable setup.

Our 'new' trailer is larger and has a few more lights, etc., plus I'm
going to a larger TV. Our plans are for 4, 75-watt panels, a Solar Boost
2000 controller, and a pair of golf cart batteries. We shouldn't want
for power.

You can operate anything you want with solar power, the only limitations
being money and roof-top real estate. If you want to keep the cost
reasonable, though, you have to do a bit of homework and have realistic
expectations. Check out some of the solar power Web Sites for worksheets
and other planning information before diving in, and you'll be all right.

                                   <<Jim>>