RE: [A/S] Enkay Rock Tamers

For those that are so into animals that they assume everything needs to
be trained, the Enkay Rock Tamer is a set of large mud flaps that mounts
on an adjustable mounting system. The unit once setup can be installed
when you are towing, then removed while not towing. The unit mounts on
the 2" square bar that holds your hitch ball and slides into the square
receiver on your tow vehicle. They do work really well for their
purpose, but as mentioned by someone else they are heavy and hard for
one person to deal with. They also don't fit the square bar that is
supplied with the Hensley Arrow hitch, because they require about 3/4"
of free space on the square bar between the end of the tow vehicle and
the first obstruction on the bar. The Hensley bar has a drop built in to
customize the height of the hitch for a match between the tow vehicle
and the trailer to make the complete rig level when connected. This drop
on my bar starts about 3/8" from the back of the truck receiver when the
bar is in place. I use the Enkay system with my Hensley, but had to do
some major modifications to the mounting frame. Mine now fits over the
square receiver on the truck, and stay on the truck when I remove the
square bar that does not stay in the truck when you are unhitched from
the trailer. I had to have the back of the casting that is the mounting
hub for the system machined out to fit over the square ring on the truck
receiver. I then drilled and tapped holes to mount some small clamping
pieces on the back of the casting that hold the unit in place when the
square bar is removed. I then loosen the clamp pieces when I get home
from a trip, and remove the mud flaps and store them until the next
trip. They come straight from the factory already house broken, and no
paper training is necessary. The house breaking is free, the mud flaps
cost about $175 as I recall. I got the first set after the factory had
redesigned the entire system, and was not sure if the price I paid was
going to be the final price they would keep.

Joe Scudder
WBCCI 8624