Re: [A/S] Towing with 1/2 ton 5.8 liter engine Ford

Hi Gar,

I think it depends on your comfort level.  I had a 1/2 ton Suburban with a
5.7 and the highest rear end..... 3:43 rear I think.

It pulled my 21 foot trailer fine..... but when I switched to my 25' (7300#)
it was quite sluggish on hills.  If I had the 3:73 rear it might have been
okay, but I like more speed on hills...especially freeway on ramps. The rear
end really makes a difference.

I have driven out west and was glad I had my F-250 with the diesel engine....
some say it's too much truck.... but I like having power when I want it.
Again, it depends on your comfort level.

My opinion is that truck will pull it safely...... just slowly on the hills.

Another big consideration is the age of the trailer. If it's new it's much
heavier than if it was an older model. If it's an older lighter one the hills
probably won't be an issue.... older means lighter.

Hunter