[A/S] tires

Jack mentioned:

Since radial tires first started appearing on vehicles, I have always
replaced worn tires with the same brand and tread pattern.

And my reply?  Yes;

This is/was an excellent idea - and then Ford and Firestone had a
problem.  I now replace anything Firestone with something, in fact
almost anything else, even though the problem with Firestones was
only PROVEN to be 235 sizes.  I just ain't takin the chance.  Other
than this exception, I tend to mostly agree with Jack.  I have,
however, been known to beef up the shoes of a pickup truck if
intending to change its usage from what it was.  IE: from family
sedan truck to haul some firewood truck.  My favourite family car is
a pickup so tires that come on stock trucks can sometimes be too
little and light for anything but the most leisurely uses.  My
opinion is mine alone and not to be confused with fact.

Tom