[A/S] tires on tow vehicle question

Can anyone help me with the proper tire for a '98 Chevy Tahoe tow vehicle. It
will be towing an '02 Safari. I've gotten conflicting info so far. The hitch
is a Reese with weight distribution bars.
I bought 245 75 R 16 load range E (10 ply sidewalls) and the ride is very
hard and stiff with regular driving without the trailer. Are these tires a
little overkill?

The tire store said they would exchange them if I wanted but I need you good
people to advise me as to what to get. Help! Leaving this week for a trip
from RI to Fla and back.

Bob