[A/S] Re: Overload Devices On Tow Vehicles

Harvey, thanks for the useful information about the tires. I will be
delighted not to have to junk $400 of tires. We are from Cornwall, in
the south-west of England. Our son married a Baltimore lass who has
just produced a beautiful American daughter. We visit them in
Maryland each winter, and spend the rest of the winter in the world's
greatest travel trailer. In England, you connect a travel trailer to
your passenger car with a ball hitch alone, and drive off. I have
never seen a distribution hitch, sway control, connecting chains,
break-away switch or electric brakes. We use mechanical "over-run"
brakes activated by a steel tube surrounded by a spring to which the
hitch cup is welded. When the tow vehicle slows, the trailer pushes
forward, applying a rearward force on the tube, thereby applying the
brakes in a proportionate manner. Because we are so badly equipped
for towing, low speed limits (40 or 50 mph depending on weight) are
legally enforced when towing trailers. Even so, every summer on the
main highways, wrecked travel trailers are a regular sight. You can
see I have had a lot to learn! (for example, my post on electric
brakes). Learning about load distribution hitches was not just
interesting, but potentially disastrous. We bought the Airstream from
the owner of an RV campground who also sold used RVs. Let's call him
Bud. Bud told us the Airstream came with the hitch, with load
distribution, which would fit straight into our 2 inch receiver. I
was pleased about this, and eyed with interest the bars, chains and
other paraphanalia. I researched on the Web and learnt the principles
of the bars, and then did a trial hitch-up at the campground. The
bars worked as theory suggested, but I could not understand how the
rig could go round corners. I asked Bud to explain to this ignorant
Brit how it worked. As the bars were rigidly welded to the hitch, it
loked to me as if it would be impossible to turn any corner, unless
perhaps the bars should be lower than the A-frame along their whole
length. Even so, I was nonplussed. Bud gave me a pitying look, shook
his head, and told me that's how millions of trailers were hooked up,
and that's how it worked. I showed him that as I backed up, even a
slight turn would cause the bars to foul the trailer. Bud walked off
laughing at this dumb guy. (Has anyone guessed the truth yet?). I
determined not to hit the highway until I understood the situation,
and asked a fellow camper to explain. He couldn't see anything wrong
with the set-up. We stayed overnight, and made ourselves familiar
with the new trailer. In a concealed compartment in the arm of the
lounge, my wife made the wonderful discovery of the Airstream manual.
I grabbed this and read it from cover to cover. Tucked inside the
back cover was a leaflet describing.........a Pull-rite fifth wheel
under-frame hitch. Light dawned. The tow truck has to be fitted with
a huge rotating wheel under the frame. My set-up was lethal. At the
first bend we could have rolled right over. I hurried round to Bud,
and showed him the leaflet. He just smiled and shook his head. His
wife said " He's just a good ole Georgia boy. He don't unnerstand
stuff like that." I bought an Eaz-lift hitch with 1000 pound bars,
fitted them, and, after a few days, carefully drove out onto the
highway. Recently I posted "The hard way to learn about electric
brakes". Surely this was the hard way to learn about load-
distribution hitches! Nick