Re: [A/S] Re: Overload Devices On Tow Vehicles

Nick,

You correctly answered your own question.  "LT" (light truck) tires have
stiffer sidewalls than "P" type(passenger) tires and are both more stable
under load due to less sidewall flex and more resistant to tire failure
caused by striking curbs or sharp objects in the road.  LT tires will also
be rated for much heavier loads.  The OEM tires for your Dodge would have
been LT265/R16 in load rating E (formerly known as 10 ply).  The maximum
capacity of that tire is approximately 3300 pounds per tire at 80 psi.  LT
tires of similar brand and quality will normally last for many thousands of
miles beyond that expected of a P type tire.

The previous owner may have saved a few $$ by installing those P tires on
your Dodge-Cummins.  The tires are probably adequate for driving unloaded
but I would avoid loading your truck to full rated capacity with those tires
mounted.  Since your truck, if I remember correctly, has a GVWR of 8,800
pounds, it is lightly loaded when towing an Airstream.  It is probably safe
if you maintain tire inflation pressures at the maximum 35 psi (or even 40
psi) at all times.

My Dodge-Cummins is a 3500 with dual rear wheels so it is placarded
differently than your 2500 with single rear wheels but both trucks are very
heavy on their front axle due to the Cummins engine.  I keep my front tires
inflated to 65 psi but with dual rear wheels I use only 50 psi at the rear.
These are the pressures recommended by Dodge.  With the prescribed LT tires
you would probably want 60 to 65 psi inflation at the front and
approximately 55 to 65 psi at the rear depending on load.  At full rated
capacity, you would want to inflate the rears to 80 psi.  Your owners manual
or door placard should prescribe proper inflation pressures for unloaded and
loaded conditions.

By "visitor" do you mean you are living in the US temporarily?  Where is
home?

Harvey