Re: [A/S] Re: Overload Devices On Tow Vehicles

The descussion on towing will never end If you were to ask10 persons what is
the proper towing truck or auto you weoll recieve at least 10 answers. I have
been refered to as an Idiot because I use no equalizing hitch but use
ovderload springs and/or airshocks. I always hook up as close to the truck as
possable. It has been said that the weight on the hitch will lighten the
weight on the front wheels. If you think aboult the fact that800 lbs max 36in
behind the wheels on a120in wheelbase truck weighing in the excessof 4000lb
is insigfanice. Now when an equlising hitch is used and eavery thing is
tightened up and lever where doed the extry strane go when the truck and
trailer go through a sharp dip or a grade crossing . the leverage has to be
transfered to the toung because you are trying to remove the flex between the
two.
Some years ago I saw atrailer sitting in the meisan with the tounf broken off
the 'A' frame and equlising hitch were still on the truck true the "a'frame
was not properly installed and the welding was poor but I believe the hitch
was a contributing factor. It was a new unit NOT an airstream. I have seen 3
rollovers of trailers in my 40+ years of traveling only 1 did the tow vechile
roll and it had an equlising hitchand swaybars I believe this stuff made the
leverage that caused the rollover of the truck.
I fermly believe that toungh weight is the most importent elementand should
exceed 10-15% of the trailer weight.Theonly time I eaver hsad a provlem
towing was in1959 when we were very poor and were moveing to FL from PA
towing a 5by 7 ft Uhall with a Morris Minor and no toung weight we had to
drive under 40mph to control the trailer.
None of the so called safty devices are a subitute for careful driving.
Jim Smith
1965 Tradewind(the Silver Abaltross)
1992 Dodge Gummins Diesel