Re: [A/S] solar panels

Dean,
  Actually, mixing panels really isn't all bad. Ideally, they should be
of the same kind (crystalline or amorphous), but I'm not sure even that
makes much difference. Solar panels are basically a constant-current
device, giving X amps from short circuit to nearly open-circuit voltages.

The Solar Boost controller was tested by Home Power magazine, which you
can find online at http://www.homepower.com. They listed it in their
"Things That Work" catagory, so it does function as advertised. The
basic operation, as I understand it, is to run a DC/DC converter, using
the OC voltage of the panels, "stepping it down" to what the batteries
require. Standard controllers simply throw away that extra voltage, in
effect. The maker claims that use of the SB controller will often
eliminate the need for one panel, paying for the unit.

Regarding "normal days": That's sunny, with no clouds to amount to
anything. As you've seen in the pics of our system, there's an analog
meter in series with the panels, and it's interesting to watch it during
the day. It will vary all over the map as clouds come and go. Amorphous
panels are somewhat better about operating in partial shading, but give
less power in peak sunlight; who knows which is better overall? I do
know that our panels don't do much of anything when it's cloudy, let
alone raining. However, we do have enough excess capacity in both the
panels and the batteries (2, Group 24 "RV/Marine/Deep Cycle") to weather
a couple or 3 rainy days, yet catch up fairly quickly when the sun does
finally shine brightly. We've use the system for 2 seasons, probably
50-70 days total, with the longest stay being 3 weeks, and never came
close to running low on power. And, the trailer doesn't usually get
plugged in at home, either.

I've become quite the Generator Nazi, I *hate* those noisy, stinky
things in crowded camping areas. Most of our Summer camping is at
antique engine/tractor rallies, etc., usually for 3-7 days at a time.
The folks who attend only one of those per year tend to not know how to
operate even a day or 2 w/o shore power, so carry their hardware store
Generac, et. al. genset so they can make coffee, etc. Those things are
TERRIBLE for noise.

Your system, with 4 panels, should allow you to never consider shore
power unless you want/need to run the A/C.

                                     <<Jim>>